Sunday, July 15, 2012

July 15, 2012

We to a trip to Monet's house to see his garden and lily-pad pond. It was so beautiful there and it was super cool to walk through his art room and see his paintings. We also then set out for the town of Rouen to see where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. Sad news is, I lost the group and got distracted listening to the most amazing cello player I've ever heard in all my days. Her name is Lunacello and I spent nearly an hour listening to her. All that to say, I never found Joan, but it's ok because it turns out it was just a lame sign that said, "Joan of Arc was killed somewhere around here" or something like that. Not mad. I saw an amazing cathedral and, I'm convinced, the cutest mini pug alive. So it was a good day.

But a few days have passed and in those days came Bastille Day. Also, if you know what Bastille Day is you're probably a Political Science major or a knowledgeable American.  But if you don't, you're someone like me who was just blissfully unaware of this holiday. Guess I missed that day of French history. So instead of learning about Bastille Day, I lived it. And to sum it up, it goes like this: wake up, eat crepes, drink, throw firecrackers at strangers on the street, eat some more, watch men compete in a battle of 'who can run up the greased pole and snatch the French flag', drink some more, more firecrackers, now dynamite is being thrown, dancing, drunk dancing, drunk dynamite throwing, then a bomb fireworks show. So needless to say it was a good time. A terrifying time, but a good time.Viva la France!
















No comments:

Post a Comment